Fried Rice Veggie

For my first recipe, I will share with you a staple food recipe. Filipinos love to eat rice which is why from breakfast until dinner, rice is part of the menu.

I grew up eating "Sinangag" with toasted garlic (Fried Garlic Rice) in our house. This is partnered with fried egg and "tuyo" (salted dried fish) or "tinapa" (smoked fish) or sometimes "longganisa" (sausage).

I remember my Mom would fry the "longganisa" and the leftover oil from the "longganisa" is used to cook the toasted garlic and rice. It was a decadent feast for me and my siblings.

With diabetes,  I had to find an alternative way of cooking fried rice to make it healthy and remain appetizing.

Here's my Fried Rice Veggie

INGREDIENTS:

3 cups steamed rice (although in my experience "bahaw" or leftover steamed rice cooks better)
1 small carrot grated
2 cubes of squash (1 x 1 inch) grated and dried
chopped spring onion
1 small sweet onion (white onion) minced
1 egg slightly beaten
salt
5 cloves of garlic ground finely
3 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
1 eggplant fried (optional)

PROCEDURE:

1. In a frying pan, toast the garlic to get the aroma and flavor out. Use low fire so it will not burn. Set aside half of the toasted garlic and use the other half to saute.
2. Add the minced onion and saute until it becomes translucent.
3. Add the 3 cups of rice mixing the sauteed garlic and onion well
4. Add the grated carrot and grated squash. Mix well
5. Pour the beaten egg on top of the rice and continue mixing until the fried rice is cooked.
6. Add a dash of salt to taste
7. Served it hot and topped with fried eggplant and spring onion.

I made the eggplant optional. You can use other vegetables as toppings but with or without the toppings, the carrot and squash are enough to give the healthy alternative of using meat.

To the Moms out there with kids, you can use this recipe for your kids. IIf your kids do not like eating vegetables (which his common for kids) you can try this recipe. You can add hotdog slices as an enticement and they still get the eat a dose of healthy vegetables.

I will add the photo later. Sorry, I don't get to cook as often as I want to nowadays.





Comments